The registration of a trademark brings the following advantages to its user:
- the registered trademark is protected throughout Canada regardless of where the trademark is used;
- the burden of proof will be less complex if a third party has used a trademark likely to create confusion with the registered trademark in the mind of consumers;
- the registration is valid for 15 years and is renewable every 15 years;
- the registration of the trademark is presumed valid;
- a registered trademark increases by economic value (it is exclusive);
- the registration can have a dissuasive effect on certain third parties who might consider to launch in the market a brand or a name likely to create confusion in the mind of consumers.